Your Nav Bar Here

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Wild Wild World Of Hominy!


Last month, the assignment for the Lilla Rogers Bootcamp was to make an editorial illustration based on an article about beginning a meditation practice. I loved it. Editorial Illustration is a field I'd love to expand into. So, my plan is to work at building that sector of my portfolio. I found an article on Huffington Post about hominy. I have never had it, and really knew nothing about it. So, it was a fun, educational project for me. I came up with some imagery based on the article, as well as a few things I read about hominy. Who knew it was in so many foods that I love!? You can see the article here. Above is my illustration. You can watch the animated version below. Enjoy! 


video

Monday, June 9, 2014

Animated GIF of Nautical Design

Yesterday, I had so much fun playing with the latest theme from the Lilla Rogers Bootcamp that I am currently enrolled in. I finished this little design at the end of the day and was just thrilled with the way it came out. I was even able to plug in my little anchors pattern that I made a while back into the background to finish it off. Yippee!


Well, I got carried away with trying to make a GIF of the image this morning. I always feel the giddy enthusiasm of a child when I work with animation. There's just such joy in bringing things to life in an animation that I just can't get enough of. Whether it's making an apple just move across the table in a stop-motion or doing something like this, it just makes me happy. I hope it makes you happy too! :) 


Thursday, January 2, 2014

Ink-O-Dye Experiment


I can finally post about this without fear that the recipient of the gift will see the post. :) It was a Christmas gift for my 10 year old niece, K. 

K is awesome. She is funny, horribly creative, a talented singer, and lots of fun to be around.
Like a lot of 10 year old girls, she loves to post pics of herself on Instagram. I decided to make her a fun gift, including fabric that featured a few of her "selfies" from Instagram. I downloaded them to my computer and did a little editing in Photoshop to prepare them for the photo exposure process. I used a blue Ink-O-Dye kit that I got at our local Dick Blick. It took a little trial and error, but it eventually came out great. When back home in Louisiana over the holidays, I was able to give it to her. She really loved her unique gift. 

I took a few pictures of my process that you can see below. The first round of sun exposure was a total flop, resulting in some lovely blue fabric with no images at all on it. The second round was much better. The second time, I did two things differently. I ran the Ink-O-Dye transparencies through the printer twice, leading to a denser application of the black ink. I also weighted the transparencies down with a heavy piece of glass. (Although, I'm sure plexi would work too) I just found that the transparencies alone, tacked down at the edges like the instructions suggest, were allowing too much light underneath the film. I know from my silkscreening trials that this is a potential problem area. 

I used some of my own pattern designs....basically, just dots....to add some coordinating fabrics to the mix. Overall, it really came out exactly how I had imagined. 

Here is a link to the Ink O Dye site if you want to check it out.


The exposure process---transparencies placed under glass with fabric wet with InkODye solution
                                     
The beginnings of my piecing



Blogger news